Monday, October 1, 2012

Treating Myself

Lately I've been treating myself to a break. Not a vacation, not a lapse from responsibility, just a break from trying to capture every moment, emotion or good thought in the most perfect words. Hence why I haven't posted in a while.

Instead, I have been trying to live in the moments granted me and enjoy them. I've tried to resist the urge to manufacture them or over analyze each one.

This is no easy task for me. I am often moving too fast. My brain is a lot like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going and going, until my husband rolls over and says, "turn it off." It's often in overdrive trying to find, understand, or create meaning for whatever the day brings.

The funny thing is that after years of over thinking...I'm learning it gets me nowhere. Actually, that's not true. It usually puts me behind, in a place where I've missed my chance to enjoy, experience and give thanks. Thanks for the child wearing on my patience or the shelter I'm trying to keep clean or the mere breath I am breathing.

A few thoughts that have spurred me on to treat myself:

This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
"In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it. ~Isaiah 30:15

"Sometimes attentiveness may feel like letting go — more like being
captured by the grace of the moment than trying to capture the grace
of the moment." Ann Voskampf

I remain confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living. ~Psalm 27:13

In my attempts to rest, I have not gone to a spa or on a shopping spree. I've just been trying to taste the goodness of the Lord.

I've opened the blinds and watched the sunrise from my bed over the field of green behind our new house. I told myself it was OK to relax and spend another minute snuggled under the covers in the morning light. The soaked pull ups needing to be removed, and the growling tummies wanting to be fed can actually wait one minute. I don't think God minds if I linger in my room another minute in order to let my heart whisper its thanks to Him.

I've also enjoyed more time at night with my hubby. Instead of busying myself by adding more pins to the boards I'll never get around to, I've just sat with him and watched The Voice. Man can those people sing!

I've even said, "Yeah, why not?" when my girls ask to walk to the park even though the set in stone nap time is quickly approaching. And don't tell, but I even let them play 20 minutes longer in their new backyard before calling them in for bed. I'll admit this is in part because it gives me another chance to whisper thanks as the sun
sets through the trees, but I also don't want to stop my girls' living either.

Tasting these new little treats I've been allowing myself, I've realized two things.

1. They aren't really new. They have always been available to me, but my striving, my haste, and my self imposed structure or let's face it my need to control things have been robbing me of real living.

2. They are moments that are good and perfect. They come from God alone. And the most astonishing part of all... He loves me enough to grant them, each new morning, each hour of quiet after the little ones are fast asleep, each sunset. No matter how I choose to spend them, self absorbed or humbled and thankful, He keeps giving them. Each one a treat. Each one GRACE.

1 comment: